slide

Welcoming the Stranger

Palmer suggests that the church should become a kind of “halfway house between the comforts of private life and the challenges of diversity” (Palmer, 1981:28) The idea of intentional “halfway houses” where both the marginalized and church members come together as strangers has great potential for reuniting church and mission…

slide

Making coffee

In this case, it means making espresso with using Novo coffee beans in a La Marzocco machine. Quite good. I like manual espresso machines. They give one the potential to make a really great shot of espresso coffee. Automated machines, such as used at Starbucks, provide a consistently average, but…

slide

Gathering Places

I recently back to the county where I grew up to spend some time with family and attend a high school reunion. It’s been awhile since I’ve been back, and it was a good time to get some perspective. Way back when, I had thought about the need for a…

slide

Live Music at the Coffee House

As part of my involvement in the coffee house community that we call Everyday Joe’s Coffee House, I mix sound for about 2 concerts a month, and have done so for 3 years or so. I love live music, and this gives me a good incentive to not only hear…